Where to Train in Sarasota, Florida
Running Circles on the Track at Payne Park, Sarasota Florida
- Difficulty: Easy
- Terrain: Well-groomed clay circle track
- Length: As long as you want (in circles!)
- Flow: Perfect!
- Scenery: Palm trees, grass and flowers
- Safety Issues: Perfectly safe
- Bathrooms: Never used one but probably some at Payne Park skateboard park
- Drinking Water: Same as above
- Transit Access: Sarasota buses stop nearby
- Parking: Free parking lots in park
- Night Access: Open at night but track is not lit
- Nearby Attractions: Downtown Sarasota: Fit to Run (running store), don’t miss C’est La Vie, my favorite French bakery and cafe
I live in Sarasota Florida for part of the year and occasionally I want to run on a track. Unlike Canada where high school tracks are accessible I found that the gates were padlocked … no way for me to run on the tracks when school was not in sessions. However there is a pretty good alternative for you if you are a runner living in or visiting Sarasota and want use of a track.
Payne Park, just south of downtown Florida and a decent run or walk from my condo.
Payne Park has a LOT more attractions beside the half mile long track too. A favorite with my family is a skateboard park.
My first acquaintance with the park was in an event to raise money for Southern Guide Dogs in a walkathon around the track. I have back many times since.
Here is a link to tripadvisor that explains more about the park and you can see the exact location on their map.